Participate in the Pulitzer Dialogues

Read 5 Pulitzer Titles in 5 Months!

To commemorate the centennial of the Pulitzer Prizes, six libraries from across New Mexico are partnering with the New Mexico Humanities C...

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Questions for Donnelly Library's Discussion of Beloved

Donnelly Library’s Pulitzer Prize Challenge reading group has its first meeting in a little under two weeks on Thursday, September 1. Below are a few questions to think about for the upcoming discussion.

Take a look at the questions and post your own questions or discussion points for this novel in the comments below.

Questions
  1. How does Toni Morrison connect the idea of slavery and the idea of haunting? Is America haunted?
  2. The novel is a narrative about trauma and recovery. What does it mean to recover from trauma? How does Sethe recover?
  3. This novel is about the relationships between mothers and daughters. What kinds of relationships do the characters have? How do they change over the course of the novel?
  4. Is the ghost real?


1 comment:

  1. Due to a scheduling conflict, I won't be able to attend the Donnelly discussion group, so I'll just post my 2-cents worth here.

    I'm not enjoying this book. Not because it deals w/the difficult subjects of slavery, racism, & brutality, but because I can't stand Morrison's writing. I'm not a huge fan of magical realism to start with, & Morrison's style is too disjointed for me to become immersed in the story. I'll finish the book, because that's what I do. But it's a bit of a slog.

    I've not yet finished the book, so I ca't speak to any healing that happens. But as far as the mother-daughter relationship thing? There really isn't much. It's more about the relationship between Paul D & Sethe than about Denver & Sethe. And as for Beloved? Well, is she a daughter or the gauze of grief & trauma that keeps Sethe from intimacy with either Paul D or Denver? Sethe seems to have a pretty vague relationship w/Beloved...I mean, she doesn't even snap to the fact of the headstone marker & the young woman's name being the same? In the meantime, Denver, who has a much stronger relationship w/Beloved, is afraid of losing her, while Beloved fears dissolution...which of course would happen if she's simply a re-memory as Denver grows up & fills her world w/other longings, fears, & regrets.

    If this is a repeat message (I couldn't find my original one), keep the better of the two & delete the other. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you. Let's keep the conversation going.